For those looking to make an abundant, delicious, economical and also healthy snack, I leave you this recipe of how to make whole wheat baked onion rings! With no doubt, a spectacular idea to include in the appetizer with different dips or sauces. A super versatile recipe that you can adjust according to preference and need!
Onion rings are a type of battered and fried snack. And that optionally, they are an alternative to replace the classic fries in hamburgers, hot dogs, and other fast foods. It is also usual that they are served as snacks in bars and breweries to accompany drinks.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Although there are several ways to make onion rings, today I propose this one. It is a simple recipe and not require difficulty. In addition, the ingredients are few and easily accessible in any market. What’s more, you can change or replace any of them either by taste or need without inconvenience. And best of all, they are baked!
About the ingredients:
The onions to choose have to be of a considerable size. Since when cutting to obtain the onion rings, they must have a good size. Once the onions are cut crosswise, carefully separate the rings so they don’t break.
The hearts or centers of the onions are discarded because they are too small and are generally not used. But they are saved and used in any other recipe that requires this ingredient. Next, they are passed through flour, then the excess is removed and from there they are passed through seasoned beaten egg.
It is very important to use the seasonings to obtain a tasty result, otherwise they will not be. Therefore, do not hesitate to use a good amount of them, whether they are dehydrated or fresh. Similarly, mustard can also be added to this mixture, which will give it a touch of distinction.
Finally, it is breaded with breadcrumbs. There are some alternative ingredients in this recipe. For example, those who must follow a gluten-free diet can replace the whole wheat flour with cornstarch, brown rice flour, etc. And the breadcrumbs for brown rice breadcrumbs, gluten-free breadcrumbs or another gluten-free baking product.
The cooking of these baked onion rings has an estimated baking time of 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown. In this opportunity for their cooking and to make them light and healthy, vegetable spray was used. Although you can also use sunflower, olive or some other oil according to preference or availability.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Large onions 4
- Eggs 3-4
- Mustard 1 tbsp
- Whole wheat flour c / n
- Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs c/n
- Condiments: ground chili, oregano, parsley, pepper, garlic, etc.
- Peel the onions and cut approximately 1 cm slices. Separate the rings, place in a container.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix. Reserve.
- In a bowl, put whole wheat breadcrumbs. In another place the eggs, season to taste. Beat.
- Remove excess flour from onion rings. Go through the egg and then through the breadcrumbs. Place on a baking dish with vegetable spray. Spray the rings with a little vegetable spray or oil, according to preference.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160-180 °C / 320 - 356 °F for 5-10 minutes. Optionally, turn the onion rings halfway through baking.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Celiacs: use gluten-free ingredients
- Use salt-free batters or adjust their amount accordingly.
- To make them thickly breaded, pass twice through breadcrumbs.
- Double breading will require more amount of egg. Or, failing that, add a little milk or water to the mix.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).