Today I propose this whole wheat apple cake in simple steps. Ideal to make the most of the apple season and prepare something simple but delicious. A fantastic recipe for breakfast, snacks and those much-needed daily mates.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is simple, since it is a recipe that has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% organic whole wheat, finely ground (unless it is mentioned). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But you can substitute butter, margarine, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
This is a recipe in which you can choose between milk, no-dairy milk or just water. Similarly, you have the option of using a mixture of them, that is, half and half. Consequently, depending on what you decide to use to make this recipe, it can significantly change its final flavor.
Other options are about the type of apples, which can be red, green or both. As well as the way to integrate the preparation, being able to scratch, cut into pieces or also make a purée. Surely, if you use apples in pieces, when you cut the cake, you will notice the pieces of fruit. On the other hand, if you purée them, they will not be seen.
Lastly, this whole wheat apple cake is baked at a medium low temperature of 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes. As I always recommend, for a good result, you must first adapt the cooking according to the type of oven available; second, that this cooking be as punctual as possible to dry it out.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 250 g / 8.81 oz / 2 cups
- Whole cane sugar 160 g / 5.64 oz / 8 tbsp
- Baking powder 15 g / 0.52 oz / 1 tbsp
- Milk 200 ml / 6.76 oz / ¾ cup
- Sunflower oil 50 ml / 1.69 oz / 3 ¼ tbsp
- Vanilla essence 2 tsp
- Lemon juice 1
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Apples 2-3
- Eggs 2
- Wash, peel (optional) and cut the apples into thin slices. Add lemon juice and cinnamon. Reserve.
- Butter and flour a cake mold. Optionally, place a disk of parchment paper and sprinkle the base with whole cane sugar, then place some apple slices to caramelize (this can be done at the base of the mold or after pouring the preparation and placing on top).
- In a bowl, place the eggs, whole cane sugar, vanilla essence and milk. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the sunflower oil. Mix.
- Add the apples. Mix.
- Add the whole wheat flour in batches with the baking powder. Mix without beating.
- Pour the preparation into the cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 356 °F for approximately 40 minutes or when a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Unmold once cold.
- A 20 cm cake pan was used.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- Butter, margarine or any other type of cooking oil can be used.
- Milk can be replaced by water or vegetable milk. Final texture should be considered.
- At the end of baking you can brush the apples with jelly, sweet, jam or some other clear pastry glaze.
- Whole wheat flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.
Equivalences English measuring cups:
|1 Cup||¾ Cup||½ Cup||⅓ Cup||¼ Cup|
|250 ml||190 ml||125 ml||80 ml||60 ml|
Equivalences English measuring tablespoons:
|1 Tbsp||½ Tbsp||1 Tsp||½ Tsp||¼ Tsp|
|15 ml||7.5 ml||5 ml||2.5 ml||1.25 ml|