This weekend, prepare these baked whole wheat potato balls to accompany as a garnish with your favorite dish or also as snacks with different sauces or dips. A super versatile recipe that you can combine with a variety of ingredients of choice. With a doubt, a recipe worth pointing out!
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Although there are several ways to make this recipe, today I propose this one that is simple and does not require great difficulty. In addition, the ingredients are few and easily accessible in any market. What’s more, you can change or replace any of them, either by taste or necessity without inconvenience. Best of all? They are baked!
About the ingredients:
Mashed potatoes are used as the main ingredient to make these baked whole wheat potato balls. Similarly, it is feasible to use instant mashed potatoes for it (dehydrated potato flakes). Not only will this save you the hassle of peeling and boiling the potatoes, it will also speed up preparation times.
However, whichever option you choose, remember that you need a slightly solid purée and not so liquid. In this way you can manipulate and achieve the shape of compact balls without disarming them, especially when they are filled with other ingredients. Some filling ideas could be cheese, cooked ham, raw ham, minced meat, etc.
Finally, it proceeds to breading. There are some alternative ingredients in this recipe. For example, those who must follow a gluten-free diet can replace the whole wheat flour with cornstarch, brown rice flour, etc. And the breadcrumbs for brown rice breadcrumbs, gluten-free breadcrumbs or another gluten-free baking product.
Baking takes just little time, between 10-15 minutes or until they are golden. On this occasion, the baking dish was oiled with olive oil and vegetable spray was sprayed on top. Although, sunflower oil or some other preferred or available oil can also be used. Another way of cooking would be to fry them in plenty of hot oil for 5-10 minutes.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Mashed potatoes 1kg
- Eggs 2
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Whole wheat flour c / n
- Whole wheat breadcrumbs c/n
- Mozzarella cheese 200 g
- Seasonings: salt, nutmeg, pepper, garlic, parsley, etc.
- Others: ham, raw ham, minced meat, etc.
- Boil the potatoes and make a purée. Season to taste.
- Take a portion of purée and make a ball, compacting well with your hands. Place the cheese in the center, push in and compact again.
- Pass the potato balls through whole wheat flour. Then by seasoned beaten egg and finally by whole wheat breadcrumbs. Place in a previously oiled baking dish. Spray with oil or vegetable spray on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180-200 °C / 356-392 °F for 10-15 minutes.
- Celiacs: use gluten-free ingredients
- Use salt-free batters or adjust their amount accordingly.
- To make them thickly breaded, pass twice through breadcrumbs.
- Double breading will require more egg mixture. Or, failing that, add a little milk or water to the mix.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).