So that you continue cooking whole wheat, this week’s proposal is to prepare this wonderful whole wheat chard tart pie. You will see how easy it is to make a hearty, nutritious and light meal with just a few ingredients! Ideal to accompany different kinds of salads. Surprise yourself with this simple, but exquisite whole grain recipe!
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Although there are several ways to make chard tart, today I propose this one. It is a simple recipe and not require difficulty. In addition, the ingredients are few and easily accessible in any market. What’s more, you can change or replace any of them, either by taste or need, without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
Although this tart mostly has chard, spinach could be used similarly, for example. Because both are similar, the preparation has the same steps to follow practically. For this reason, you will be able to choose according to the season, taking advantage not only of the prices but also of its freshness.
This time I have chosen to sauté the chard directly with the rest of the vegetables. Which not only provides the advantage of saving us an extra step to follow, but also speeds up the preparation time. Certainly, there are recipes that boil chard separately, but it is considered that it loses its properties as a result. Another ideal cooking method could be microwave or steam.
The other ingredients are optional and freely chosen. On this occasion I added mozzarella cheese, some cherry tomatoes and portobello which combined very well with this whole wheat tart.
About the mixture that unifies the preparation:
Like any tart, some mixture is needed that works as union. This mixture would be what unites all the ingredients during baking, preventing the dough from falling apart or moistening. There are a thousand ways and ingredients to do it, this time with what I had in the fridge and as a result, I got a delicious light tart.
To do this, dissolve the cornstarch in cold milk and add a couple of eggs. You can prepare all in the same bowl, or beat the eggs in a separate one and then incorporate them. It is almost the same, but if you add the eggs directly, it takes a little more effort to integrate. One recommendation is that the seasonings for the tart be added directly to the mixture.
About the dough:
At Integralisimo, 100% organic whole wheat flour is used, finely ground (unless it mentions it). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But you can substitute butter, margarine, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
In this opportunity, a dough without elasticity is needed. Therefore, it is not kneaded, so gluten does not develop, and a chewy dough is not obtained. It is enough just to combine the ingredients, without the need to be completely homogeneous. When using butter or margarine, it is integrated cold and in small pieces, forming a grit with the hands or food processor.
The proportions in this recipe are sufficient to prepare an open whole wheat tart using a tall 26-28 centimeter / 10.23 – 11.02 inch diameter pan. Although it is also possible to use smaller, tall or short tart pans. If you want to make closed tarts, double the recipe ingredients or adapt to a smaller pan.
It is advisable that when baking this whole wheat chard tart, it is done at a suitable temperature so that the base of the whole wheat dough does not burn, acquiring a bitter taste as a consequence. Generally, a medium low temperature of around 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit is used for approximately 30-40 minutes.
However, whenever the mold size is changed in a recipe, the baking times must be changed as well. Because it can take more or less time to cook depending on size, height and amount of filling used. Similarly, cooking can be affected depending on the type of oven and heat used.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- TART DOUGH:
- Whole wheat flour 250 g / 8.81 oz / 2 cups
- Baking powder 10 g / 0.35 oz / 2 tsp
- Milk - Water 100 ml / ¼ cup / 6 ½ tbsp
- Sunflower oil 40 ml / 1.35 oz / 2 ¾ tbsp
- Salt 2 g / 0.07 oz / ½ tsp
- Egg 1
- Chard / Spinach 1 kg
- Onion 2
- Garlic 2
- Red pepper ½
- Mozzarella cheese / port salut / roquefort 100g (optional)
- Portobello 1 (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes 6 (optional)
- Milk 250 ml / 1 cup
- Cornstarch 40 g
- Eggs 2
- Others: parsley, pepper, salt, oregano, etc.
- In a bowl, place the whole wheat flour, salt and baking powder. Mix.
- Add the egg, the sunflower oil. Incorporate the water gradually until it forms a dough.
- Wrap the tart dough and store in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Stretch the dough in a circular shape. Sprinkle with whole wheat flour if necessary.
- Lift the dough with the rolling pin. Line a 26-28 cm / 10.23-11.02 in removable tart tin previously sprayed with vegetable spray or brushed with oil. Press with the fingers the dough so it molds. Trim excess dough if any.
- In a hot pan add a few drops of oil. Add the onion, pepper and minced garlic. Sauté a few minutes.
- Incorporate the washed and chopped chard in batches. Add the portobello. Cook until complete cooking.
- In a bowl, place the cold milk and add the heaped tablespoons of cornstarch. Stir until dissolved. Add the eggs and season to taste. Beat until all the ingredients are combined. Reserve.
- Pour the filling over the dough, spread without compacting. Incorporate the other interspersed ingredients (optional).
- Add the mixture to the tart.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to the indicated temperature 15-20 minutes before baking.
- For easy unmolding, use removable tart pans.
- It is not a sticky or dry dough. The amount of mixture should be enough for all the ingredients to come together.
- Whole wheat flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually.
- Replacement of sunflower oil for butter: 30 g / 1.05 oz / 1 tbsp.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).