These Easter can not miss on your table this Whole Wheat Easter Thread Recipe…
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Making this whole wheat Easter thread is very simple. The ingredients are few and easily accessible in any market. Its preparation is fast, although the proofing time will depend on the ambient temperature, and may take more or less time.
The dough can be made in the traditional way or using a kneading machine. Which would do all the work of kneading, saving time and effort. This is a dough that needs elasticity, and which is only obtained if it is kneaded enough to develop gluten.
Its characteristic shape is made in a very simple way, you do not need any type of sophisticated kitchen technique or utensil. Believe it or not, what is used is at our own elbow. With which a hole is made in the center of the dough and it is finished shaping by molding with the hands. Also, the rounded end of a rolling pin can be used, for example.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, 100% organic whole wheat flour is used, finely ground (unless it mentions it). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is butter. But you can replace margarine, sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
In the same way, you have the choice of using milk, non-dairy milk or just water. As well as a mixture of them, that is, half-and-half. However, replacing it with just water will result in a slightly more rustic texture. Therefore, keep these details in mind when modifying the recipe.
About its cooking:
The pastry cream can be put on the Easter thread before, during or after baking. Although it is recommended to do it during or after cooking. And thus avoid that the dough is lowered by the weight of the pastry cream. Something that usually happens when it is placed before putting it in the oven.
What many people usually do is bake for 10 or 15 minutes, take out from the oven, place the pastry cream and bake for 10 minutes more. It is said that, in this way, the pastry cream is pasteurized. Although there are many pastry chefs who finish cooking, then once cold they place the cream and decorate.
The type of pastry cream that is usually used is the one used to decorate or fill, with a thick consistency. When you do not want to prepare a homemade pastry cream, you can opt for an artificial one, which is available at any pastry shop.
Like any recipe and being one of the whole wheat type, the cooking time should be as precise as possible, so it does not dry out. Then you can enjoy a spectacular whole wheat easter thread with a lot of flavor and characteristic texture.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Ferment / Previous Dough
- Whole wheat flour 65 g / 2.29 g / 4 ¼ tbsp
- Fresh yeast 5 g / 0.18 oz / 1 tsp
- Milk 40 ml / 2 ½ tbsp
- Honey 1 tsp
- Whole wheat flour 185 g / 6.53 oz / 1 ½ cup
- Whole cane sugar 20 g / 0.71 oz / 1 ½ tbsp
- Milk 80 ml / 5 ½ tbsp
- Butter 50 g / 1.76 oz / 3 ¼ tbsp
- Fresh yeast 20 g / 0.71 oz / 1 ¼ tbsp
- Egg 1
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon zest
- Orange zest
- Vanilla essence c / n
- Custard cream (pastry cream) c/n
- To paint the dough:
- 1 egg
- milk 3 tbsp
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- Prepare the ferment or previous dough a little while before to beginning with the recipe. For this, unite the ingredients (it is not necessary to knead). Cover and reserve.
- For the dough, work on the table or if you have a much better mixing machine because you have to knead the dough a lot. Place the flour, salt, lemon zest, orange zest, vanilla essence, yeast dissolved in milk, the previous mass and the egg. Integrate all the ingredients until they come together well. Do not despair and do not add more liquid, let the machine work for a while.
- Once all the ingredients have come together, add the butter and knead just enough for the flour protein that is gluten to develop. How to find out how much to knead? When the dough has an elastic consistency, it is soft and sticks like gum on the hook of the mixing machine (or in your hands). If you are making the dough by hand and without a mixing machine, rub some oil on your hands and this will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands and you will be able to work even better.
- Make bun with the dough and let it rest for about 10 minutes to relax and allow us to mold it easier.
- To give it the easter thread shape, squash the dough bun a little and with the elbow we are going to make a hole in the middle of the dough. Then with the hands we finish giving a little more shape and place the dough on a buttered baking tray. Let it rise until it doubles in size. To prevent the dough from losing the easter thread shape due to the increase in size, place an empty can that you have in the hole of the dough, wrapped in pre-coated aluminum foil and smeared with butter to prevent it from sticking with baking.
- Once the dough has doubled in size you can choose to add the custard cream (pastry cream) before or after cooking. As an advise you to do this later because you can risk the dough falling off by putting the pastry cream on top, but this is optional for everyone. Paint the dough with the mixture (beat the ingredients of the recipe and then strain the preparation) and bake at minimum temperature (320-356 °F) for 30 minutes. Once cold, decorate to taste.
Once the whole wheat waster is decorated, you can paint it with some mixture that makes it sparkle. One way to do it at home is to place 1 or 2 tablespoons of peach or apricot jam that you have with a little water. Heat the mixture in the microwave or on the stove so that it thickens and dissolves better. Strain and then use.