This whole wheat easter thread recipe will surprise you! Because it is easy and very simple to prepare! This Easter dazzles everyone with this recipe in its whole wheat version! A flavorful easter thread made with 100% whole grain ingredients!
We are one step away from Easter and there is no better idea than preparing our own whole wheat easter thread! A recipe that can also be used to make the famous whole wheat rosca de reyes. Which you can decorate to taste using the ingredients that you like the most!
Easter thread is a type of sweet bread with ring shape. Of ancient origin, then modified by the Italian pastries. With a renewed aspect and meaning: continuity, union and eternal renaissance. Associated with the celebration of the resurrection of Christ on Easter Day.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Preparing this whole wheat easter thread is quite simple. The ingredients are just a few and easily available in any market. Its preparation is quick, but the fermentation time varies depending on the ambient temperature. Which can take more or less time.
The dough can be made in the traditional way or using a kneading machine. Which would do all the work of kneading, saving time and effort. This is a dough that needs elasticity, and which is only obtained if it is kneaded enough to develop gluten.
Its characteristic shape is made in a very simple way, you do not need any type of sophisticated kitchen technique or utensil. Believe it or not, what is used is at our own elbow. With which a hole is made in the center of the dough and it is finished shaping by molding with the hands. Also can be use the tip of a round rolling pin, for example.
About its cooking:
You can choose to place the pastry cream on the thread before, during, or after baking. Although, it is recommended during or after baking. And in this way prevent the dough from falling due to the weight of the cream. Which is a common thing that usually happens when it is placed before baking.
What some people usually do is bake for 10 or 15 minutes, take them out of the oven, add the pastry cream and cook for 10 more minutes. It is said that, in this way, the pastry cream is pasteurized. Although, there are many pastry chefs who finish baking and then decorate once cold.
The type of pastry cream that is usually used is the one used to decorate or fill, with a thick consistency. If you do not want to prepare a homemade pastry cream, you can opt for an artificial one, which you can get at any pastry store.
Like any recipe and even more so being one of the whole wheat type, the cooking time should be as punctual as possible so that it does not dry out. And so they can enjoy an exquisite whole wheat easter thread with all the flavor and texture that characterizes it.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- PREVIOUS DOUGH:
- Milk 125 ml / ½ cup / 8 ½ tbsp
- Whole wheat flour 125 g / 4.41 oz / 1 cup
- Honey 20 g / 0.71 oz / 1 tbsp
- Fresh yeast 15 g / 0.53 oz - Dry instant yeast 5 g / 0.18 oz / 1 tsp
- Previous dough
- Whole wheat flour 400 g / 14.11 oz / 3 ¼ cup
- Fresh yeast 30 g / 1.06 oz - Dry instant yeast 5 g / 0.18 oz / 1 tsp
- Butter 100 g / 3.53 oz / ½ cup
- Whole cane sugar 100 g / 3.53 oz / ½ cup / 5 tbsp
- Milk 100 ml / 3.38 oz / 6 ½ tbsp
- Eggs 2
- Salt 3 g / 0.11 oz / ½ tsp
- Vanilla essence 1 tbsp
- Lemon zest 1
- FOR BRUSH:
- Egg 1
- Whole cane sugar 1 tsp
- Pinch salt
- Milk 3-4 tbsp
- Peach jelly, apricot, etc.
- Custard cream c/n
- Cherries in syrup c/n
- Chocolate chips c/n
- Grana sugar c/n
- In a container add the the previous dough ingredients. Join with a spoon, no need to knead. Let rise for 20 minutes at room temperature or cover with plastic kitchen wrap and store in the refrigerator until use (it can be prepared the day before).
- In a bowl, kneading machine or on the table in the shape of a crown, place the whole wheat flour, whole cane sugar, previous dough, vanilla essence, eggs, milk, salt, yeast and lemon zest. Form a dough.
- Incorporate the butter. Knead until you get a smooth and elastic dough.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts and form a bun with each of them. (You can make a large Easter thread, two medium ones or 3 small ones).
- Using the elbow and circular motion, make a hole in the center of the dough. Finish shaping with the hands. Leave a considerable space in the center so it does not close with the leavening.
- Once the dough is proofed, brush with the egg mixture (gentle movements so that it does not deflate).
- Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 170-180 °C / 338-356 °F. Remove from the oven, place the pastry cream and cook for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with jelly. Once cold decorate to taste.
- For Brush: mix the ingredients, beat, strain and brush.
- To give it a bright color, brush with jelly.
- To make a single easter thread, divide the recipe ingredients in half.
- Each whole wheat easter thread makes 4-5 servings (medium size).
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- Butter replacement for sunflower oil: 60ml / 4 tbsp.
- Whole wheat flours depending on their brand can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.