These whole wheat ring cookies are a very good proposal for the little ones to start eating whole wheat food. Prepare with few ingredients, easily and simply! some incredible cookies! Ideal for much healthier breakfasts or snacks! Dare to try this tempting recipe!
I don’t know about you, but with this recipe I get nostalgia, and it goes back to my childhood. Without a doubt, these famous little ring cookies are a classic of this country that has been passed down from generation to generation. And that today I offer you my version, some cookies with the same shape that characterizes them, the classic multicolored bath but made exclusively with whole grain ingredients.
Despite being very different from its original version, they are equally attractive and very delicious cookies. Much healthier cookies, worthy of preparing for children’s parties and birthdays. They are also a good option for children to take to school and enjoy something homemade, whole grain, without additives or preservatives.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
This is a simple and easy cookie dough to prepare. Because it is a recipe that does not have great complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. On the one hand, there is its simplicity, because it is a dough that is not kneaded. And, on the other hand, it is because of the ingredients to be used, which are few, frequently used and easy to find.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% organic whole wheat, finely ground (unless it is mentioned). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The type of fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But you can substitute for margarine, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
About the dough:
A dough is prepared that does not need elasticity, so it is not kneaded. In this way, the gluten does not develop, and a chewy dough is not obtained. It is enough just to combine the ingredients, without the need to be completely homogeneous. When using butter or margarine, it is integrated cold and in small pieces, forming a grit with the hands or food processor.
To shape the dough into rings, it can be use a round cookie cutter, glass, lid, etc. However, the ring shape is optional, as it will not differ in taste or texture, no matter how different it looks. Therefore, you can choose to give these cookies the simplest and most practical way.
The dough for these whole wheat cookies is not high in sugar. Because the real icing that covers them compliments that missing, on the contrary, it would be too sweet. So, if you do not make this sugar topping on the cookies, should be replaced this missing sugar and increase it when the cookie dough is prepared (see notes)
Generally, whole cane sugar because it contains more moisture, tends to harden, and more when it is not preserved correctly. As a consequence, hard parts remain in the preparation without dissolving and once baked, these do not disintegrate completely, which is why they are visualized in the result.
One way to avoid this inconvenience is to sift the whole cane sugar before making the recipe. Although, you can use whole cane powdered sugar for best results in fine whole grain pastry recipes. Likewise, they look good, but it is always good to know details regarding aesthetics and more when they are made to sell, for example.
It is advisable that these whole wheat ring cookies are baked at a suitable temperature so that they do not burn, acquiring a bitter taste as a consequence. Generally, a medium low temperature is used, around 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for about 8-10 minutes. And once they are cold, they will be covered with the royal icing bath.
Cookies can be covered with royal icing in several ways, with the option of choosing due to their difficulty or ease of the technique to be used. One of them, the easiest of all, is to place the royal icing in a container and dip one side of the cookies. Another is to use a pastry bag. And finally, spread the royal icing with a knife, as if it were toast.
About the royal icing bath:
On this occasion, instead of making the classic icing sugar to bathe the cookies, I prepared royal icing. With which a neat appearance is obtained, and it has a particular shine that embellishes the result much more. Similarly, the ingredients are exactly the same, glass sugar (icing sugar) and water or fruit juice.
Royal icing is a thick and white glaze as a result of the incorporation of egg white (beaten stiff). However, today you can find products to replace this traditional way. This not only facilitates and makes this preparation simple, but it is safer in bromatological matters, since raw egg is not used for it.
As a substitute for egg white, can be use meringue or powdered albumin. Both options contain dehydrated egg white and can be used to make homemade royal icing. But if you don’t have any, you can make the traditional one or not use egg whites at all. But the drying time may differ as well.
This royal icing has different points in terms of its firmness, and it can be more or less liquid. For this occasion, I made a medium consistency royal icing, which spreads but stays mostly in place. As you can see, the icing only stayed on top, not falling down or completely covering the cookie.
Although, if you want to completely bathe the cookies, you will have to use a slightly more liquid royal icing. The convenient thing in this case is to place the cookies on a rack. In this way, the excess icing will fall, without sticking the cookies to the dish once dry. Depending on the consistency of the royal icing to be used, a more or less thin layer will be obtained.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- COOKIE DOUGH:
- Whole wheat flour 300 g / 10.58 oz / 2 ½ cup
- Sunflower oil 40 ml / 1.35 oz / 2 ½ tbsp
- Whole cane sugar 150 g / 5.29 oz / ¾ cup
- Baking soda 5 g / 1.17 oz / 1 tsp
- Milk / Water 1-2 tbsp
- Eggs 2
- Vanilla essence (optional)
- ROYAL ICING:
- Icing sugar 200 g / 7.05 oz / 1 ½ cups
- Meringue powder 20 g / 0.70 oz / 1 tbsp
- Water / Orange Juice / Lemon Juice c / n
- Food coloring (optional)
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl (whole wheat flour, whole cane sugar and baking soda). Mix.
- Add the eggs, the sunflower oil and the tablespoons of milk. Mix until you get a slightly sticky dough.
- Place the dough in plastic kitchen wrap. Store in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Roll out the dough to the desired thickness. Sprinkle with whole wheat flour if necessary avoiding excesses. Cut whole wheat cookies using a round cookie cutter, cup, lid, etc.
- Place the cookies on a previously oiled or sprayed baking sheet. Then use a smaller round cookie cutter to make the hole in the middle to get the ring shape (I used a pastry piping).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160-180 °C / 320 - 356 °F for 8-10 minutes. Let cool and then cover with royal icing.
- In a container place the icing sugar and the powdered meringue previously sifted. Add the water, lemon juice or orange juice little by little until the desired consistency is obtained. Beat by hand until a glossy white icing is formed. Use food coloring (optional).
- Bathe the cookies and let them dry. Then store in a closed container.
- White sugar can be used.
- Butter, margarine or any other type of edible oil can be used.
- Sunflower Oil Replacement for Butter: 60 g / 2.11 oz / 1 ½ tbsp.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- If the cookies are not covered with royal icing, increase the amount of whole cane sugar by 50 g / 1.76 oz / 2 ½ tbsp. Also, you can use a preferred sweetener.
- The royal icing bath may take several hours to dry. It is advisable to let it dry overnight before storing.
- It is recommended that once the cookies are formed, put the tray in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking. In this way, they retain their shape better during baking.
- The amount of ring cookies that come out with this recipe will depend on the size and / or thickness in which they are prepared.
- Whole wheat flours depending on their brand can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.