This week I bring you this spectacular recipe for whole wheat spiced buns. Ideal to give them a personalized touch with the ingredients that you like the most. A great idea for meetings, birthdays, or just to enjoy something tasty and whole grain. You will see how easy and how incredible they are in their whole wheat version!
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is simple, and although it has no complications in terms of its preparation, it does take time because it has two raising time. The ingredients used are few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% organic whole wheat, finely ground (unless it is mentioned). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But you can substitute butter, margarine, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
Among the options to flavor or fill, you have different ingredients, from cold meats to fresh or dehydrated condiments. Keep in mind that choosing lower volume ingredients will result in a lower final product. Similarly, if a smaller or larger amount is used, it will influence the amount obtained as well.
This is a recipe in which you can choose between milk, no-dairy milk or just water. Similarly, you have the option of using a mixture of them, that is, half and half. As a consequence, depending on what you decide to use, it can significantly change its final flavor. I recommend using milk for less rustic results.
About the shape of the buns:
The convenient thing if you want to obtain breads with different flavors, first divide the dough and then let it rise. Once the dough has risen, take one of the parts, stretch with your hand, spread the filling and then roll the dough. Consequently, cut the roll of dough into as many parts as desired and form the buns without kneading.
This would be the easiest way for me, although it can certainly be formed in another way. Therefore, feel free to modify this recipe according to convenience or need regarding the way of preparation and/or ingredients. However, if fluffy buns with volume are desired, do not modify the rising times.
Finally, once the flavored and leavened whole wheat buns are formed, as an option before baking, you can brush with a mixture of egg and milk (goldening). This way, breads with a soft and attractive golden color will be obtained. Also in this step you can take advantage and sprinkle with seeds superficially as well.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 500 g / 17,64 oz / 4 ¼ cups
- Dry yeast 8 g / 0.28 oz / 1 ¾ tsp - Fresh yeast 25 g / 0.88 oz
- Sunflower oil 50 ml / ¼ taza / 3 ¼ cdas
- Milk 400 ml / 13.52 oz / 1 ½ cup
- Whole cane sugar 5 g / 0.17 oz / 1 tsp
- Salt 6 g / 0.21 oz / 1 ¼ tsp
- Option 1:
- Ham 150g
- Tybo cheese 150 g
- Option 2:
- Salami 300 g
- Option 3:
- Parsley, oregano, garlic, onion, olives, etc. a/n
- For paint the buns:
- Egg 1
- Milk 2-3 tbsp
- Pinch salt
- In a bowl place part of the water, whole cane sugar and yeast. Dissolve. Let foam for 15-20 minutes.
- On the table, in a bowl or kneading machine, place the whole wheat flour, salt, foamed yeast and sunflower oil. Mix. Gradually add the water or milk to form a soft, elastic dough.
- Divide the dough and round, cover and let rise until it doubles its volume (in these photos the recipe is tripled).
- Cut the cold meats into small cubes.
- Stretch the dough with the fingers and place the cold meats.
- Roll up the dough and cut portions.
- Round each of the parts. Place the dough buns on a previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray baking dish (leave a free space between each dough bun). Cover and let rise.
- Brush with the egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before storing, freezing or consuming.
- Whole wheat flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate gradually.
- You get 11-14 whole wheat spiced buns. This depends on the size and amount of filling used.
- When making buns with only seasonings such as oregano, adjust the amount of salt (increase to taste if you like them salty). The cold meats have a large amount of salt and in this recipe it is considered.
- Vegans: replace milk with no-dairy milk or just water.
- For softer buns use butter or margarine.
- Replacement of sunflower oil for butter: 80 g
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
Equivalences English measuring cups:
|1 Cup||¾ Cup||½ Cup||⅓ Cup||¼ Cup|
|250 ml||190 ml||125 ml||80 ml||60 ml|
Equivalences English measuring tablespoons:
|1 Tbsp||½ Tbsp||1 Tsp||½ Tsp||¼ Tsp|
|15 ml||7.5 ml||5 ml||2.5 ml||1.25 ml|