To start this week, I suggest you prepare these practical stuffed zucchini rolls with brown rice. An ideal recipe for light and nutritious lunches and dinners, especially on those days of intense heat. Make the most of the zucchini season with this easy and amazing recipe!
Zucchini, also known as courgette, squash or Italian squash, is a fruit belonging to the pumpkin family that can be eaten both raw and cooked. Its main characteristic, its high percentage of water, followed by fiber, protein and zero percentage of fat. Reason why it is included in numerous food plans.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Preparing this recipe is easy, since it has no complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. The ingredients used are just a few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
Preferably, the zucchinis chosen for this recipe should be of a considerable size to be able to roll up the filling. On the contrary, if they are small, it will not be possible to make the necessary turns to wrap it. Although if you only have those and want to take advantage of them, a solution would be to place the zucchini slices and prepare it in layers as if it were a lasagna.
As the title says, they are stuffed zucchini rolls with brown rice. Firstly, it is to cook brown rice because compared to the commonly used white rice, it has a longer cooking time. This time can range between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on the brand.
Secondly, it is convenient to prepare the zucchini to be used, which are washed and cut into thin slices. And for this, you can use a mandolin or carefully with a knife. Therefore, in order for the zucchini to be flexible and to be able to be rolled without breaking, it will be necessary to cook them for a few minutes.
About the filling:
Although this filling is made up mostly of brown rice, other ingredients that add flavor will be needed to obtain a tasty result. Of course, these will depend on the particular taste of each one. On this occasion, shredded tuna, onion, garlic, fresh parsley, soy sauce as a distinctive touch and cream cheese were added.
About its cooking:
Finally, once the zucchini rolls are assembled, they are placed in the oven for a while to heat or gratin with cheese. Similarly, it can be accompanied by a sauce of your choice, either white or red. Another way to accompany it, for example, with different side dishes such as fresh salads, purées, baked potatoes, other roasted vegetables, etc.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Cooked brown rice 2 cups
- Shredded tuna 170 g / 5.99 oz / 1 can
- Sour cream 2-3 tbsp
- Zucchini M 3-4
- Onion M 1
- Garlic 2
- Various: salt, pepper, fresh parsley
- Optional: soy sauce, grated cheese.
- Others: ricotta, chicken, minced meat, etc.
- Sauté the onion and minced garlic.
- Add cooked brown rice, soy sauce. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Remove from the fire. Add the shredded tuna and season to taste. Reserve.
- Wash and cut the zucchini into slices. Place in a baking dish previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray. Bake at medium temperature for 5-10 minutes.
- Two options: First, make a roll with a slice of zucchini and fill with a disposable pastry bag. Press both ends with the fingers to compact the filling. Second; place a little stuffing on one end of the zucchini slice and roll up. Press both ends with the fingers to compact the filling.
- Place in a baking dish previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese. Add sauce of choice. Bake until gratin.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months)
- Store in the refrigerator.