How about making this whole wheat spinach hot dog buns without a mold? A fluffy, delicious buns, with all the aroma and benefits of spinach! An excellent recipe to make this classic meal a complete and nutritious dish. Making the most of each of its ingredients!
Panchos, hot dogs, also called perros calientes, is a world famous food. Being one of the favorites by many, they come in different sizes, with different kinds and types of sausages. In addition, depending on what ingredients are used, it can be from a simple and easy food, to a gourmet dish.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Doing this whole wheat spinach hot dogs buns recipe is quite practical and simple. The ingredients used are few and common, easy to find in any market. It turns out to be a malleable and docile dough, which should not present any type of complication during its preparation.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% whole grain, fine ground (I don’t use mixes unless I mention it). In general, depending on its brand, it can absorb more or less amount of liquid. So I recommend incorporating them gradually. Keep in mind that the lower the volume is, smaller final product you will get.
The fat is butter, but it can be replaced by margarine, olive oil, sunflower oil, etc. As a result, depending on which fat is used, its texture can be modified. Being buns that need softness and fluffiness, butter may be the best option given its high fiber composition.
The egg is another factor that these hot dogs are soft and fluffy. Although if you are allergic, it can be replaced by equivalence in milk or water. For vegan diets or allergic to lactose, it can be replaced by vegetable milk or water. Depends on what ingredient is used, buns will be obtained from a particular flavor and texture.
Despite the speed and simplicity of this recipe, this preparation has an extra step. Which consists of preparing the spinach puree that can be made with raw or cooked spinach. Also the recipe can be made with chard. As a preference, I choose spinach because it has more leaves and fewer stems.
However, if you have a powerful blender, you can save yourself this step by blending them directly after washing them well. It may be that the machine being so thick it is difficult to work. Therefore, to help this process and make the blender work better, add a little water. In this way you will obtain a smooth and uniform puree.
About the shape of the buns:
The dough is soft and malleable, but it is necessary to knead it enough to develop gluten and generate elasticity. This elasticity is what generates the crumb that characterizes this bread. The previous kneading makes the dough tense and it is difficult to work with it, therefore it is left to rest so it relaxes and is docile.
Once rested, divide the dough into equal parts and make a bun. With this recipe you can make hot dog buns of the size you need. With the proportions of this recipe, a dozen standard size whole wheat spinach hot dog buns come out. Using 80 g / 0.17 lb / 2.82 oz of dough for each approximately.
Assembling these buns is simple, a well known technique is used widely used in bread recipes, especially in those that require a result with a lot of crumb. Which consists of stretching the dough bun and then roll up by pressing with the fingers. The ends this time do not close as in the recipes of buns for baguettes or French bread.
About the mold:
Although no special mold is required to bake these buns, it is best to use a high tray. Then limit the free spaces with aluminum foil and beans. In addition, it is important to leave a free space between bun and bun because they will grow (a considerable space for them to touch each other but not overlap).
Before baking, the hot dog buns can be brushed with browning (a mixture of egg and milk). Also, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Baking takes a few minutes and it is recommended not to prolong it, thus avoiding the buns from drying out or toasting too much. As soon as they brown, remove the tray from the oven.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 500 g / 17,64 oz / 4 ¼ cups
- Spinach puree 200 g / 7.05 oz
- Milk powder 40 g / 1.41 oz / 2 ½ tbsp
- Whole cane sugar 40 g / 1.41 oz / 2 tbsp
- Butter 50 g / 1.76 oz / 1 ¼ tbsp
- Milk 60 ml / ¼ cup / 4 tbsp
- Water 60 ml / ¼ cup / 4 tbsp
- Salt 5 g / 0.18 oz / 1 tsp
- Egg M 1
- Dry yeast 8 g / 0.28 g / 1 ½ tsp - Fresh yeast 25 g / 0.88 oz
- FOR BRUSH:
- Egg 1
- Milk 3-4 tbsp
- In a container place the milk, the whole cane sugar and the yeast. Mix.
- On the table, in a bowl or kneading machine, place the whole wheat flour, salt, powdered milk, spinach puree, preferment and the egg. Mix. Add the water little by little until it forms a dough.
- Add butter. Knead until you get a smooth, soft and elastic dough.
- Round the dough, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts (80-90 grams / 0.176-0.198 lb / 2.82 oz - 3.17 oz). Make a bun with each of the parts. Cover the dough with plastic kitchen wrap while working so it does not dry out in the air.
- Take a dough bun, flatten and roll out into a rectangular shape. Roll up tightly with the fingers. Roll by hand to smooth and lengthen (16 cm approx.).
- Place the dough rolls on a tray previously sprayed with vegetable spray (the dough close down). Leave a free space between the dough buns. All types of tray can be adapted, regardless of its size. Use kitchen aluminum foil filled with beans as a barrier to limit and cover the free spaces (see photo).
- Let rise until they double in size. The time will depend on the ambient temperature.
- Brush with the egg mixture, sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160-180 degrees / 320-356 Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Place the hot dog buns on a rack until cool. Store.
- It can be used raw and cooked spinach.
- White sugar can be used.
- Can be used butter, margarine or any other type of cooking oil.
- Replace butter with sunflower oil: 40 ml / 2 ½ tbsp.
- Milk can be replaced by water or vegetable milk.
- Eggs can be replaced by milk, water or vegetable milk.
- Store in a closed container.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- It get 12 whole wheat hot dogs standard size with this recipe.
- Some homemade sausage ideas available at Locos Por La Comida here.
- Whole wheat flours depending on their brand can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.