Today I present to you these delicious vegan whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! If you are a fan of the famous Cachafaz cookies, you will love this recipe! Homemade cookies ideal for healthy breakfasts or snacks! Dare to try this tempting recipe and surprise yourself!
This brand of cookies is well known because they are made with organic ingredients, without using chemical processes or additives. For this reason, they have a higher concentration of nutrients. Which benefit their consumption even more because they improve nutrition, strengthen the immune system and provide better satiety, among others.
That is why I propose you to make this type of whole wheat cookies that are quite similar to the real ones. And you can prepare in the comfort of your home using ingredients of your choice and in a much cheaper way. Spectacularly delicious cookies for kids to enjoy something homemade and whole grain, without additives or preservatives.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Preparing these whole wheat cookies is very easy. Because it is a recipe that does not have great complications in terms of its preparation and has more than one advantage. On the one hand, there is its simplicity, because it is a dough that is not kneaded. And, on the other hand, it is because of the ingredients to be used, they are few, frequently used and easy to find.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% organic whole wheat, finely ground (unless it is mentioned). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The type of fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But you can substitute for margarine, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
Similarly, another option is regarding the type of oats. And while I used pre-cooked thick rolled oats, you can use instant oats too. Although, consequently, you may or may not need a certain amount of extra liquid. When a recipe calls for rolled oats, it may be advisable to soak them before use (see notes).
Optionally, in addition to chocolate chips, you could make them with raisins. Likewise, with both options. However, the use of dehydrated ingredients will absorb moisture from the preparation. So it is convenient to hydrate them for a while before using them using some liquor, cognac or simply water, for example.
About the dough:
It is a dough that does not need elasticity, therefore, it is not kneaded. In this way, the gluten does not develop, and a chewy dough is not obtained. It is enough just to combine the ingredients, without the need to be completely homogeneous. When using butter or margarine, it is integrated cold and in small pieces, forming a grit with the hands or food processor.
The result of this dough, in terms of consistency, has to be a little sticky. Certainly, it is already known that whole wheat flour absorbs liquids late and if the dough is dry, dry cookies will be obtained. And even more so when it is added extra ingredients like oats and raisins that will also absorb moisture from the dough.
For a look similar to store-bought cookies, use a flower-shaped cookie cutter. However, this is optional. Because no matter how different they look, it won’t change the flavor or texture. Therefore, if you do not want to complicate yourself, you can make these cookies in the way that is most practical and simple for you.
It is advisable that these whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chips cookies are cooked at a suitable temperature so that they do not burn, acquiring a bitter taste as a consequence. Generally, a medium low temperature is used, around 160-180 degrees / 320-356 Fahrenheit for about 8-10 minutes.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 300 g / 10.58 oz / 2 ½ cup
- Rolled oats 100 g / 3.52 oz / 1 cup
- Sunflower oil 40 ml / 1.35 oz / 2 ½ tbsp
- Whole cane sugar 200 g / 7.05 oz / 1 cup
- Baking soda 5 g / 1.17 oz / 1 tsp (optional)
- Baking powder 10 g / 0.35 oz / 2 tsp
- Non-dairy milk 100 ml / 3.38 oz / ½ cup
- Chocolate chips 100 g / 3.52 oz / ½ cup
- Vanilla essence 10 ml / 2 tsp
- Sea salt 1 pinch
- Optional: raisins, lemon zest, orange zest, liqueur, cognac, etc.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl (whole wheat flour, whole cane sugar, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda). Mix.
- Add the chocolate chips and/or raisins, sunflower oil and gradually incorporate the water. Mix until you get a slightly sticky dough.
- Place the dough in plastic kitchen wrap. Store in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Roll out the dough to the desired thickness. Sprinkle with whole wheat flour if necessary avoiding excesses. Cut whole wheat cookies using a cookie cutter, glass, lid, etc..
- Place the cookies on a previously oiled or sprayed baking sheet. Then with a smaller round cutter mark the center (do not go through the dough) and mark the petals as well. In this way the flower shape is obtained (I used a pastry nozzle and a toothpick).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160-180 °C / 320 - 356 °F for 8-10 minutes.
- It can be use white sugar or sweetener of your choice. Adjust the proportions of the ingredients accordingly.
- Vegetable milk can be replaced by regular milk or water.
- Sunflower oil can be replaced with butter, margarine, coconut oil, or any other type of cooking oil.
- Sunflower Oil Replacement for Butter: 60 g / 2.11 oz / 1 ½ tbsp.
- The amount of cookies that come out with this recipe will depend on the size and/or thickness in which they are made.
- Whole wheat flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.
- Coarse or fine (pre-cooked) rolled oats can be added directly. It is advisable to soak in water a few hours before to soften and hydrate.
- Instant oatmeal can be used (they won't be the same consistency or look the same).
- Rolled oats can be omitted or replaced with whole grain flour. Adjust the proportions of the ingredients accordingly.
- Ingredients such as raisins, hydrate them beforehand in water, cognac, liquor, mistela, etc.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).