An ideal Saturday to prepare some whole wheat fajitas or burritos! Also known as flour tortillas.
A meal that is excellent when combining different flavors and tastes. Having the possibility of making different fillings or using the ingredients that are available at home.
These flour tortillas are usually found in any supermarket and are now available in whole wheat flour as well. Although it is convenient to make them homemade for different reasons. One of them is that it will be much cheaper. In addition we make sure that it is free of any preservative, additives and that it is 100% whole grain.
Another advantage of making them homemade is that one can choose the size of the tortillas depending on the use that will be given. If you want for tacos about 40 grams of dough, fajitas 60 grams and burritos 100 grams.
In its preparation it is a very simple dough to make, it requires few ingredients, it is easy and quick to make. And cooking even more. Between 2 to 5 minutes it will be ready to assemble with the chosen filling.
It is a dough that is neither dry nor sticky. The amount of liquid is just enough so that they remain with the particular texture of the well-known flour tortillas.
Therefore, when you finish preparing the tortilla dough, what is convenient is to divide it into equal parts, form buns with the dough and place them in a dish covered by a plastic kitchen film.
Let the buns rest for at least an hour. If it is from one day to the next much better. In this way they make the dough relax and make it easier to roll it out and give it the characteristic shape of flour tortillas.
Cooking is done in a very hot pan and takes a few minutes. You should not overcook as they will be tough and brittle. And what we want as a result is a malleable tortilla, which you can fold, does not break.
To store, they are placed hot, stacking the tortillas on top of each other. In a plastic suitable food bag. Thus they retain their moisture and will not dry out. It is also a good idea to freeze and have it available when needed.
With this recipe I prepared some fajitas with chicken as a base and also different garnishes such as sautéed beans, cubed tomatoes and lettuce.
I hope you enjoy cooking deliciously, as healthy as possible and saving as much as possible.
Also, enjoy with your family, of course, good weekend!
- Whole wheat flour 500 g
- Water 320 cc
- Baking powder 10 g
- Sunflower oil 30 cc
- Salt 10 g
- In a bowl mix the dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking powder. Add the water and oil. Knead until a homogeneous and smooth dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into equal parts (I made 13 buns of 60 grams each) form a bun with the dough, cover with kitchen plastic film and let rest in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until it is as thin as possible.
- Cook in a pan at maximum temperature without oil or butter. When you see the bubbles (see picture) turn and cook on the other side for a few more seconds.
- Stack flour tortillas to retain their moisture. Store in an appropriate food bag. Freeze if desired (approximately 3 months).