What do you think about preparing this wonderful homemade whole wheat loin bread? You will see how simple this recipe is, super practical! Without much elaboration or steps to follow, you will obtain a spectacular bread! An ideal bread for loin sandwiches, milanese, vegetables, cold cuts, and much more! Dare to prepare this recipe and make the best sandwiches you’ve ever tasted!
The lomito or loin sandwich is a typical classic sandwich from Argentina. Which consists of a rectangular and thin bread, also known as sanguchero bread. To assemble these sandwiches, the bread is cut in half and spread with some dressing (mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, etc.).
Inside, it is usually made up of a beef steak (loin), fried egg, cooked ham feta, cheese (mozzarella, tybo, creamy), tomato and lettuce. Although, there are varieties of sandwiches with a great variety of special ingredients. Such as bacon, caramelized onions, special sauces, avocado, sautéed vegetables, etc.
Commonly, this sandwich is toasted to prevent the ingredients from moistening the bread and falling apart when eaten. In this way, the bread remains crispy, does not fall apart too much and makes it more comfortable during consumption. It can be toasted before or after, depending on the preference or custom of the person who prepares it.
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
These homemade whole wheat loin breads are very simple to prepare. It is a recipe that does not have great complications in terms of its preparation. The ingredients to be used are just a few, frequently used and easy to find in any market. It turns out to be a malleable and docile dough, which should not present any type of complication during its preparation.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, the whole wheat flour used is 100% whole grain, fine ground (I don’t use mixes unless I mention it). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less amount of liquid. So I recommend incorporating them gradually. Keep in mind that the lower the volume is, smaller final product you will get.
This is a recipe in which you can use milk, non-dairy milk or just water. Similarly, you have the option of using a mixture of them, that is, half and half. Although, if only water is used, it will make this whole wheat dough a little more rustic. On the other hand, if you use animal or vegetable milk, it gives a certain softness to the dough.
The type of fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But it can be replaced by margarine, butter, coconut oil, etc. As a result, depending on what fat is used, its texture can change. Therefore, always take into account the type of ingredient that is used to make a specific recipe.
About the shape of the buns:
For a better result, once the dough is ready, let it rise. Then divide the dough into equal parts, roll it into a ball and let it rest for a few minutes before giving it its final shape. With the proportions of this recipe, you get half a dozen standard size loin breads, using approximately 150-160 grams of dough for each one.
Before baking, this whole wheat loin bread can be brushed with a mixture of egg and milk. Also, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Baking takes a few minutes and it is recommended not to overdo it. This prevents the breads from drying out or overcooking. As soon as they brown, remove the tray from the oven.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 500 g / 17,64 oz / 4 ¼ cups
- Dry yeast 8 g / 0.28 oz / 1 ¾ tsp - Fresh yeast 25 g / 0.88 oz
- Powdered milk 20 g / 0.70 oz / 1 tbsp
- Whole cane sugar 50 g / 1.76 oz / 2 ½ tbsp
- Sunflower oil 50 ml / 3 ¼ tbsp
- Milk 200 ml / ¾ cup / 13 ¼ tbsp
- Water 200 ml / ¾ cup / 13 ¼ tbsp
- Salt 8 g / 0.28 oz / 1 ¾ tsp
- Optional: sesame seeds
- FOR BRUSH:
- Egg 1
- Milk 1-2 tbsp
- Pinch salt
- Whole cane sugar 1 tsp
- In a bowl place part of the water, whole cane sugar and yeast. Dissolve. Let it foam for 15-20 minutes.
- On the table, in a bowl or kneading machine, place the whole wheat flour, salt, powdered milk, foamed yeast and sunflower oil. Mix. Gradually add the remaining water and milk to form a dough. Round the dough, cover and leave to rise until doubled in volume.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts (150-160 grams / 0.33-0.35 lb / 5.29 oz / 5.64 oz). Make a bun with each of the parts. Cover the dough with plastic kitchen film, so it doesn't dry out in the air. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- To assemble these breads: take a bun of dough and flatten it to degas. Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape using a rolling pin. Place on a baking dish previously oiled or sprayed with vegetable spray. Cover with plastic kitchen film. Let rise until doubled in volume.
- Brush with egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160-180 degrees / 320-356 Fahrenheit for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Place the hot dog buns on a rack until cool. Store.
- Can be used butter, margarine or any other type of cooking oil.
- Replacement of sunflower oil for butter: 20 g / 1 tbsp.
- Milk can be replaced by water or vegetable milk.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- It gets 9 whole wheat bagels approx.
- Whole wheat flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.