This week the chosen recipe is this delicious whole wheat chocolate cake, without butter and with incredible moisture. Ideal to fill or eat alone because its chocolate flavor makes it totally irresistible. You will see how easy and simple it is to prepare this magnificent recipe in its whole wheat version. Cheer up!
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
As the title says, this is a cake and not a sponge cake. For this reason, other ingredients are used for its preparation. The ingredients used are few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, 100% organic whole wheat flour is used, finely ground (unless it mentions it). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is sunflower oil. But you can substitute butter, margarine, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
This is a recipe in which you can choose between milk, no-dairy milk or just water. Similarly, you have the option of using a mixture of them, that is, half and half. Consequently, depending on what you decide to use to make this recipe, it can significantly change its final flavor.
About bitter cocoa:
The chocolate flavor is provided exclusively by bitter cocoa. In fact, its final result will be affected according to its quality. Which is proportional to the concentration of pure cocoa it has. However, you can replace it with chocolate bars (the one used for hot milk with melted chocolate), cocoa powder for drinking chocolate, dark or semi-sweet couverture chocolate, etc.
For a correct exchange of ingredients, whether in this or any recipe, it is necessary to observe that ingredient for a moment. For example, if you swap dark cocoa for chocolate drinking, it will likely have sugar in it, as well as a lower concentration of cocoa. That is why it would be convenient to add a little more chocolate and reduce the sugar in the recipe.
Likewise, the way to integrate into the preparation will be taken considerate. As you can see in the recipe instructions, cocoa dissolves in hot milk. And if you use couverture chocolate, it melts at 45-50 degrees, at a higher temperature it burns. So, here you have options: dissolve in a water bath / microwave with oil or milk, scratch it, etc.
Lastly, this cake is baked in a medium low temperature 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for 1 hour. This time I made disks and divided the preparation into 3 molds of 20 cm each. Therefore, since there was less mixture per mold, baking took approximately 20 minutes. Remember to adapt the baking according to the type of oven, mold used and time needed.
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Whole wheat flour 300 g / 10.58 oz / 2 ½ cups
- Whole cane sugar 250 g / 8.82 oz / 1 ¼ cup
- Bitter cocoa 80 g / 2.82 oz / ½ cup
- Sunflower oil 120 ml / ½ cup / 8 tbsp
- Baking powder 20 g / 0.70 oz / 4 tsp
- Hot milk 500 ml / 2 cups
- Vanilla essence 1 tbsp
- Eggs 2
- Salt 1 pinch (optional)
- Sodium bicarbonate 5 g / 1 tsp (optional)
- White vinegar 5 ml / 1 tbsp
- Butter and flour a 20 cm cake mold. Place a disc of parchment paper in the mold bottom (optional).
- In a bowl mix and sift the whole wheat flour, baking powder, pinch of salt and baking soda (optional). Reserve.
- In another bowl, dissolve the cocoa in hot milk. Add the sunflower oil and white vinegar. Mix.
- Separately, beat the eggs with the whole cane sugar until the mixture clears. Add the vanilla essence. Mix.
- Combine both liquid mixtures. Beat for a few minutes.
- In batches, add dry ingredients to liquid mixture. Mix.
- Pour the preparation into the cake mold.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 356 °F for approximately 1 hour or when a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Cool and unmold.
- A 20 cm cake pan was used.
- Consume preferably before 3 days.
- Can be frozen (3 months).
- Butter, margarine, coconut oil, or any other type of cooking oil can be used.
- Substitute sunflower oil for margarine: 150 g / 5.29 oz / 6 tbsp.
- Use good quality bitter cocoa.
- Whole cane sugar provides more moisture than refined sugar, so I recommend not replacing it.
- Milk can be replaced by water or vegetable milk. Final texture should be considered.
- Whole wheat flours, depending on their brand, can absorb more or less amount of liquid. Be sure to incorporate liquids gradually.
Equivalences English measuring cups:
|1 Cup||¾ Cup||½ Cup||⅓ Cup||¼ Cup|
|250 ml||190 ml||125 ml||80 ml||60 ml|
Equivalences English measuring spoons:
|1 Tbsp||½ Tbsp||1 Tsp||½ Tsp||¼ Tsp|
|15 ml||7.5 ml||5 ml||2.5 ml||1.25 ml|
Values equivalent to 3.53 oz (100 grams) of white sugar * approximate
|STEVIA POWDER||STEVIA LIQUID|
|3.53 OZ||0.35 OZ |
11 SWEETENER SACHETS
|54 DROPS||0.39 OZ |
* Accordingly, adjust the proportions of the other ingredients as well