Integralisimo proposes you to make these delicious whole wheat sausage buns. An ideal preparation for parties, birthdays and snacks because it is easy, practical and also exquisite. A whole wheat recipe to schedule, especially when you have guests. Taste these bread rolls fresh out of the oven and you will see that you will fall in love! Get down to the dough!
Let’s talk a bit about the recipe:
Preparing these buns is simple, and although there are no complications in terms of preparation, it does take time because it has two leavening times. The ingredients used are just a few and often used, easy to find in any market. In addition, you can change any of them according to preference or need without inconvenience.
About the ingredients:
At Integralisimo, whole wheat flour used is 100% organic whole grain, finely ground (unless otherwise mentioned). In general, depending on the brand, it can absorb more or less liquid. For this reason I recommend incorporating the liquids gradually. As a result, keep in mind that the lower the volume, the lower the final product.
The fat used in this opportunity is butter. But you can replace with margarine, sunflower oil, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. Even so, depending on what fat is used, it can change its texture and final flavor. Therefore, always keep in mind the type and class of ingredients when preparing a specific recipe.
In the same way, you have the choice of using milk, non-dairy milk, or just water. As well as a mixture of them, that is, half-and-half. However, replacing it exclusively with water will give you a rather rustic texture as a final result. Therefore, keep the details in mind when modifying a recipe.
The sausages are Vienna type, those used for hot dogs (hot dogs), which are cut according to the buns size. On this occasion, for example, each sausage was cut into three parts, using four sausages for 12 buns. In addition, you can buy cocktail sausages to get an elegant and aesthetic appearance.
About the dough:
At the beginning of this recipe I suggest you prepare a previous dough or sponge. Even so, it is not something exclusive, but it is recommended to obtain better results in terms of texture. If you don’t want to make this previous dough, another way to ensure an optimal result would be to foam the yeast with part of the water and sugar from the recipe.
From this previous dough or yeast foam, general dough is prepared by combining all the ingredients except butter. Which is integrated at the end and kneading until a smooth and elastic texture is obtained. This is usually accomplished after several minutes of kneading work. Therefore, not to despair to avoid excesses of flour.
Once the dough is ready, the ideal is to let it rise until it doubles its volume to obtain bread with a good crumb. Next, the dough is divided into as many parts as desired. On this occasion, to be exact, I divided the dough into 12 buns of approx. 46 grams each. Of course, if you want to get larger buns, you will have to divide by less.
After dividing the dough, these buns are given their final shape. For this, apply a simple technique that consists of first stretching the dough bun in a rectangular shape. Then join the ends, fold towards the center and overlap the remaining end touching the first but not completely covering it. Immediately after twist and roll (see photos).
Finally, once the buns are assembled and leavened, the sausages are added. Which is placed in the center of the dough and pressed to fit. Optionally, before baking, you can brush with the egg and milk mixture (browning). In this way, breads with an attractive golden color will be obtained. As well as sprinkle with seeds superficially.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- PREVIOUS DOUGH:
- Whole wheat flour 80 g
- Dry yeast 5 g
- Water 80 ml
- Sugar 25 g
- Whole wheat flour 220 g
- Sugar 25 g
- Salt 4 g
- Egg 1
- Milk 80 ml
- Butter 25 g
- Powdered milk 10 g (optional)
- Vienna sausages 4
- FOR BRUSH:
- Egg 1
- Milk 2-3 tbsp
- Pinch salt
- OTHERS: sesame, flax, chia, sunflower seeds, etc.
- In a bowl, dissolve sugar and dry yeast with water.
- Add the flour and mix.
- Cover the bowl. Let rise until doubled in volume.
- On the table, in a bowl or kneading machine, place the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt and powdered milk. Mix.
- Add the previous dough and egg. Add little by little milk until you get a dry dough.
- Add butter Knead until you get a soft, smooth and elastic dough.
- Round the dough, cover and let rise until doubled in volume.
- Degas the dough and divide it into 12 equal parts (weigh the dough if you want precision). Cover the dough while working, so it doesn't dry out in the air. Take one of the buns, stretch in a rectangular shape. Avoid sprinkling or making excessive use of flour.
- Fold one end towards the center and overlap the remaining end, touching the first but not completely covering it.
- Turn and roll by pressing with fingers. Roll to seal, smooth and lengthen if necessary.
- Place in an oiled or buttered baking dish. May or may not use parchment paper. Cover with plastic kitchen film. Let rise until doubled in size.
- Cut the sausages and take one of the parts. Place in the center of the dough ball and press to fit.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees / 356 Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes or until golden. When hot, place on a wire rack to prevent them from getting wet from condensation.