If you have bread that got tough or rubbery at home, this recipe is great for preparing a delicious and nutritious dessert. In addition to having a consistency similar to flan but nutritionally a little more beneficial it makes it totally irresistible and unforgettable.
The best of all is that in this recipe we recycle that bread that will not be eaten anyway and we transform it into a dessert that, in addition to being economic, is rich in fibers that provide a lot of benefits to our body.
With simple and current ingredients, we can prepare this whole wheat bread pudding for family or friends. A dessert that more than one reminds of childhood or at least me. I always remember when I was a child that at home there was stale bread and they made this dessert that I loved.
Let’s talk a little about the recipe…
For this recipe you are going to need any type of whole wheat bread that you have made or have at home as long as they are not flavored cause this recipe is sweet and it will not be very good idea.
On this page you will find several recipes for whole wheat breads in case you are interested in making any of them. To make this wholemeal bread pudding I made the homemade mold bread recipe. Generally at home there is not much bread left so I made one exclusively for this recipe.
The other ingredients to use are the usual classics. More than sure that in any refrigerator they are always present. With the possibility of adding something extra such as lemon or orange zest, caramelized sugar or adding dulce de leche, for example.
This time I made it very classic. Previously, I prepared a caramelized sugar and covered the mold that I used to bake it. You must be very careful and cautious when preparing homemade caramelized sugar. You can get burned and it hurts a lot. If you don’t want to make it, you can buy it ready and add it on top of the bread pudding once it’s ready.
To cook this whole wheat bread pudding you can do it in the microwave, in a large pot in water bath or in the oven. This time I cooked it in a water bath in the oven but you can choose the way that is easiest and most comfortable for you or depending on what you have at home.
As you can see this recipe has more than one advantage, since it can be done in many ways and the result will be the same. If you have less bread, you can divide the recipe and make the recipe anyway.
Do you have any doubt or suggestion? Write me a comment at the end of this recipe 👇
Do not forget to follow me on social networks to know the latest news in whole grain recipes!
- Whole wheat bread 350 g / 12,35 oz
- Eggs 3
- Milk 750 ml / 4 cups
- Whole wheat sugar 150 g / ¾ cup
- Optional: vanilla essence, orange zest, lemon zest, caramel, dulce de leche.
- Caramelize sugar:
- Whole wheat sugar 6 tbsp
- Water 3 tbsp
- Others: whipped cream, dulce de leche, caramel sauce, etc.
- Place the sugar and water in a pan. Heat over low heat and without stirring. Occasionally move the pan to mix. Until you get a caramelized golden sugar. If you want more or less liquid, the caramelized sugar once formed, add a little hot water very carefully and leave it to simmer until it looks homogeneous again.
Whole wheat bread pudding:
- Carefully place the homemade caramelized sugar in the chosen mold.
- Remove the crust and cut the whole wheat bread into cubes.
- Place the eggs in a bowl and mix (beat just a little). Reserve.
- In another bowl place the warm milk and whole wheat sugar. Mix and add the whole wheat bread cut into cubes. When the bread is very hard, if you want to do this step the night before it is better (keep in the refrigerator).
- Add the vanilla essence and the zest of lemon, orange or both, they also give it a very good flavor. Mix.
- Incorporate the barely beaten eggs. Mix to homogenize.
- Put the preparation in the mold with the caramelized sugar. Bake at 180-200 degrees (356 °F) in a water bath for approximately 1 hour.
- Serve with dulce de leche or whipped cream optionally. Store in the fridge.
- Unmold very carefully as soon as it is done baking, because caramelized sugar can make the bread pudding stick to the mold once it's cold.
- If this happens, you can heat the bread pudding in a water bath until it comes off again.